Monday, 3 October 2011

ARE 3 YEAR OLDS RACISTS?

From the age of 8 months gg started to walk on her toes rather than her feet and amazes everyone with her balance and ability. So in June we enrolled her into a ballet school which she truely loves. There are two teachers in her class; a main teacher and a helper. gg has also had 2 substitutes teachers in the past, and all have commented how well her feet point and how good her balance is. The children in gg's class started the previous September so gg was the new girl starting in June. gg is the only bi-racial girl in her class. There is one Somali girl and the rest are either vanilla English or vanilla French. We didn't think of any problems with gg being the only mixed race child in the class. We sat in for gg's first lesson, but left the room half way through her second lesson to settle her in. We noticed that all the girls had their own little groups except the Somali girl who sat on her own, and gg. We knew gg wouldn't be talking and playing with the girls because they didn't know her and this was her first lesson, but it bothered me that the only child that had no one to sit next to or had a partner all the time was the Somali girl. My fiance said to me "maybe it's because she is chocolate and the other children are not used to socialising with kids from other races." I said to him "kids don't care about colour they just like to play with each other.". He said, "yeah probably" and we left it at that. The next week we watched gg in her class for half her lesson and snuck out, but whilst we were there the Somali girl sat next to gg and held her hand.  gg looked at her and smiled and for the first time in two lessons I saw the Somali girl smile. A few weeks later the parents got to stay and watch the class. Each child had to take it in turns to go across the room like a butterfly and finish in 2nd position (can't remember the ballet term) and sit by the wall and wait for everyone to have a go. gg was second and sat next to one of the French girls. The French girl moved away, gg moved closer, the girl moved further away. gg thought she would try sitting next to another girl and again she moved away from her and turned her back to her. My eyes started to well up with tears. How could these little girls be so mean to my innocent little girl? It hurt me so much, I just wanted to go and give her a hug and get her out of this horrible situation. Lucky though the teacher moved them on to something else so gg was engrossed in the next activity, and the girls reaction didn't seem to have bothered her. gg's daddy said it is a good way for gg to learn that not everyone is going to want to play with her or be her friend, and she can learn this before she goes to school so she won't feel hurt or be surprised if she has to encounter this when she is older. On our way home we told gg that she shouldn't play or talk with the other children in ballet because she is not there to play, she is there to learn to dance like a ballerina, and to dance like a ballerina she has to listen to the teacher. I said this to her hoping she would feel comfort if she felt hurt by the girls reaction to her attempt at friendship. It would also hopefully act as a protection in the future if she got rejected by those girls again. The next week I stood and watched through the window and a new vanilla girl started. This time the girls that rejected gg's friendship went straight over to the new girl and welcomed her into their group with open arms. I felt so hurt for my little gg.Why did they want the new girl in their group and not gg?
After the summer holidays gg went back to her ballet class. This time though her class members were not all the same. The Somali girl had been moved to the next class up because of her age, and so did a few of the other girls. A few new girls had started in gg's class. Before gg went in to her class we told her "remember don't talk to the children or play. Sit and listen and when the teacher asks you a question answer her". gg said "ok mummy" and went in excitedly. None of this has seemed to phase gg at all because she is always first to answer any questions and her ballet skills are very advanced for her age.

I was in two minds about what I had told her. Was I in the wrong for telling my child to tone down her bubbly talkative character in an attempt to protect her from getting hurt and rejected, or should I have left her to be her bubbly talkative self and get rejected to teach her how cruel people can be, and build up her tolerance and risk her going into her shell?
At her last ballet class the teacher came out to all the parents and said "I know the children are young and it is a hot day but can parents talk to their children and tell them to listen to the teacher" As each child came out one by one each parent asked if their child had been naughty. I asked her if gg was naughty and she said to me happily "gg was good as always". I gave gg a big hug and as we walked out the mum of the girl that rejected gg's friendship was told her daughter was really naughty and wasn't listening at all and was messing about with her friend (the other girl that rejected gg). I felt smug as gg and I went downstairs, and I whispered into gg's ear "see the naughty girls that keep talking and playing got told off by the teacher and now their mum and dad got told off too because they didn't tell them to stop talking". gg then said to me "I didn't talk and be naughty did I mummy? I only talk to the teacher". I said to her "yes agapi mou the teacher said you were very good.". I was happy that I went with my motherly instincts and chose the protective approach because gg is improving with her ballet every week, she is always excited to go every week, every time I see her in her class she always has a smile on her face and she is always first to answer any of the teachers questions, like when the teacher asked "who can tell me what they had for breakfast this morning?", gg put her had up and said "me me!". Then said "chicken livers, souvla and rice" lol (",)

Colour coincident or not, the only 2 non-vanilla kids had no one but each other, they reached out for friendship and got rejected every time. You could say it was because gg was new and the Somali girl may have been horrible to the other children so no one liked her, but, why did they befriend a new vanilla girl and not a new caramel girl? If we were at work and we were the only one of a different race and didn't get treated as everyone else we would complain that we were facing racism, but because these children are 3 years old we are skeptical of their actions and say they are only kids. gg plays with anyone no matter what their race is, and the only time gg will not play with someone is if they are mean or not sharing with her, which is more than a good enough reason. But the girls resilience is admirable because both girls still reach out to others to socialise and know who they shouldn't bother with. I'm still left confused and curious as to why the vanilla girls left the caramel and chocolate girl out of their circle and welcomed a new vanilla child.

So why have these girls discriminated against her? Was it because gg is caramel and not vanilla like them? Or were they jealous that gg kept getting praised by her exceptional ballet skills? I didn't think 3 year old children even knew about this sort of thing let alone act in those kind of ways. I just hope there was another reason for not befriending them and it isn't to do with race or jealously because then what hope does our future society have?

Have you or your child or anyone you know had to face racism or a similar situation? If so how have you dealt with it?

11 comments:

  1. My heart aches that you had to watch your daughter go through that. Thankfully she's still young enough that she never fully caught on. Great idea to tell her to pay attention to the teacher and not to talk to the other children. I really don't know what I would have done in that situation. Thankfully we live in an area full of chocolate, vanilla and caramel people. I'm afraid for when my daughter experiences this and I'm not there to protect or comfort her; however, I'm not really sure if I want to protect her from situations like that. How will she learn to handle herself? Baby O is a week from 3 years old, so I absolutely imagined myself in going through that as well, and I believe I would have done the same thing that you did. It's sad that children learn to single others out because they don't look/act like them--it's all learned at home. Sorry to ramble on for so long...great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nikki. Where we live it is very multicultural and when we go to different kids activities and gg's gymnastics class the kids seem to all get along regardless of race that is why I was really shocked and saddened. gg's ballet school is a really good high profile french originated school that makes the kids audition when they get older to get a place there so you can imagine the rich posh upper class parents that send their kids there. They can not even bring themselves to give us a smile or a hello but say hello to the other upper class parents that r there. As you said its all learned at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so sad! :( I can't say that I've ever had this experience when I was little. One of my first best friends in preschool was a vanilla girl (I remember because my parents took a picture of the two of us together.) I played with everyone and everyone played with me. I don't think children are racist because no one is born with that mindset. It can only be learned, and sadly, perhaps these children are following the habits of their parents. I hope that gg continues to have a good time in dance class :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Precious nothing seems to stop gg dancing (",) she is really happy whenever she goes so I dont think the situation has bothered her it seems to have effected me more which I prefer. I have never experienced it myself either I remember playing with everyone at school chocolate vanilla caramel and every other race and everyone being happy together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. :( -- As a child, me and my brother and sisters were raised in an all white area... We were the first blacks to go to our elementary school and everything... We were talked about, called all types of names and chased home with knives more often than not... So, I understand your situation more than you know. Also, my two oldest daughters have dealt with racism at their schools as well... I'm glad that GG is at the age where this doesn't affect her... Just keep letting her know that she's loved, regardless of what others say.

    I pray that she continues on the rode to greatness and doesn't let anyone get in her way!!

    Blessings to you,

    Char!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, that is horrible. You absolutely did the right thing by telling her to listen to the teacher and not worry about making friends in class. I have to say that thankfully we have not experienced anything of this nature and I pray that we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I read this I have flashbacks to childhood, not all my experiences were bad when I was younger it was mostly as I got older and people started recognizing race a some form of status. I am thankful that you had the presence of mind to deflect GG's attention away from what was happening and onto something else. I know with parents like you two she will be fine, like other's have said just keep reminding her how very special she is and how much you love her. Love conquers all things. I stand in prayer with Char that she will not let anyone stop her for all that she is destine to be and do in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Char Im so glad nothing happened to you or your sibblings I was saddened reading you had to go through that fear and annoyed that parents allow and influence their kids to act in such a violent way. I hope your daughters wont have to deal with anymore nonsense and none of this stops them flourishing in the future. Thankyou for your blessings (",)

    ReplyDelete
  9. untrained hair mum I was a little worried in telling her to ignore the other kids because I didn't want her to not want to socialise with other children but she seems fine when she is with other kids so I am very happy. I hope you and we dont have to ever experiance it again. (",)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle G Thankyou so much for your kind words and well wishes and you are so right Love conquers all (",)

    ReplyDelete