Wednesday, 12 October 2011

BOX BRAIDS AND STRAWBERRY SMOOTHIE

Last week I styled gg's hair in box braids which took me about 1 1/2 hours.
I washed, conditioned and de-tangled her hair.
I sprayed our homemade hair spritz to her scalp and combed through with a wide toothed comb to distribute evenly.
I added some of our homemade whipped shea butter mix for moisture and also used a wide toothed comb to distribute it through her hair evenly.
I started at the back of her head parting a medium sized box and braiding that section of hair, then I added some more whipped shea butter to the end of the braid and twirled it around my finger to secure the braid.
I followed the same steps until all her hair was braided.
Nice and simple (",).
I was pretty proud of myself because they looked kinda good and so I was hoping I'd get them to last at least 5 days.
gg slept on her satin pillow case and the next morning when she woke up her box braids were looking as good as the night before.
Here's some pics of her box braids the day after I braided them.





gg really loved them. You can tell how proud she is of her hair by how she poses. If she thinks she looks good she drops one of her top model poses (",).

We had a nice day out and on our way home gg was drinking a strawberry smoothie. As gg got out of the car she lost her balance and as I saved her from falling she squeezed her strawberry smoothie carton and more than 1/2 of the drink was in her hair. I tried to blot it out of her hair with a kitchen towel, to get rid of the liquid but I could still smell strawberries and see bits between her braids.
I was in a dilemma with what to do. I knew I had to wash it that evening, but was I to take her braids out or was I going to try and wash her hair still in her box braid style?
I decided to leave her style in because it still looked good, and the style hadn't even been in her hair for 24 hours. I co~washed her hair because I washed it with shampoo the day before and didn't want to dry out her hair.
I put some conditioner in my palms then used my finger pads to massage her scalp. I didn't put conditioner on her braids because I didn't want to disturb their neatness and when I rinsed her scalp the conditioner would drip down her braids and clean them. I couldn't really get to the scalp where the braids were, as that meant pulling the hair up to get my finger underneath and I didn't want to hurt gg or pull at her hair. I wasn't really happy with how clean I got it. I decided to leave the braids in overnight and in the morning if she started itching or I saw any residue in her hair or scalp I would take her style out and wash her head thoroughly.
The next day she had no itching and no signs of residue in her hair so I left them in and tied a silk scarf in her hair as a bow to switch up her style.







As you can see in the pics her hair wasn't as neat as the day before. She started to get little frizzys around her head. I think this was because I disturbed her hair with my fingers when trying to clean her scalp and her braids started to curl due to the water. This didn't bother gg one bit, she loved it as usual, any big accessories in her hair and she is a happy bunny.

But I was still not happy with how I cleaned her scalp I didn't want to see a recurrence of itchy scalp and sores on her head and constant night time waking because her scalp is unbearably itchy like we had a few weeks before (read about it here) just because I didn't want to take her style out that only took 1 1/2 hours to do. So that afternoon I took her box braids out and let her wear a braid out with her big flower clip for the afternoon. gg preferred this and in her own words "I like my hair in plaits mummy because it's long but I like my fluffy hair and flower best, coz I look prettttyyy" (",)



In the evening I did a pre poo. I added lots of olive oil to her hair and scalp and put a plastic cap on her for about an hour. I then washed her scalp with shampoo and conditioned her styled her hair fluffy (",).

8 comments:

  1. OMGAAHHH!! I love that clip! GG is working it in those first couple of pics--betta weeeerk Cover Girl! She is so beautiful with a gorgeous head of hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. VEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY pretty!!! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 and I LOVE the clip too!! My goodness! Gorgeous... Imma have to get some doily's and get to trying to recreate it!!! :)

    Char~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nikki (",). Got the clip for £1 you cant go wrong with that. gg loves posing whenever she sees a camera. Whenever gg's dad and I look at the first 2 pics we can't stop smiling and laughing she looks so different and grown up (",)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Char. If you do recreat it please do a post on how you achieved it that would be great (",)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful job! That is one gorgeous hair clip too! She's workin' it in the first few pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok first her posing is too much! She could school a top model! And second thank you for doing this post! Once, GDL got the velcro from a hat stuck to her freshly done cornrows that took me like 3 hours or something to do! We've all had this dilemma where we have to figure out what to do when a new style gets ruined. I can relate! Thirdly, that flower is the cat's meow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank u Precious. gg thinks shes on antm and bntm when someone holding a camera (",)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goldilocks*n*me thankyou (",) O no you must of been so upset when that happened. U got to let us know how u solved that problem coz now its getting colder and were all going to be wearing hats it can happen to any of us (",)

    ReplyDelete