Tuesday, 15 November 2011

FRIENDLY DEBATES WITH THE DANIELLES PIERCING INFANT/TODDLER EARS

gg just after her ears were pierced, eating her lolly because she was brave

I had my ears pierced when I was 3 months old and I really wanted to get gg's ears pierced too when she was around 1, but she kept pulling at her ears when she cried so we decided to wait, and gg got them done on her 3rd birthday. She was very excited, and we explained to her that it was going to hurt a little but she wasn't scared and we told her we were going to film it so she could see what the lady had done to her ears when it had finished. When the first earring went in she cried and the women quickly put the other one in. I gave her a big hug and her daddy started acting silly and dancing around to distract her. The lady also gave her 2 lollipops and within 30 seconds she was fine and wouldn't stop looking at herself in the mirror. She loved, and still loves her earrings. She was so proud of herself telling everyone she was brave. I did pierce her ears later than I wanted to but that was due to gg's characteristics and I would never put my child in danger for vanity. We asked gg before if she wanted her ears pierced and she excitedly said yes, so I know if I was to have done it earlier she would have loved it. I know some people want to give their child the choice but I feel if she didn't want them when she got older, she would have the choice to take them out so the holes would close up. Plus I would feel more anxious if my child was older and they would have to go through the pain because they understand more just like when they have their vaccinations. When gg had her vaccinations when she was a baby she only cried for 2 of them and that was for about 20 seconds and the rest she didn't even bother. But when she had her pre-school boosters a few months ago I was so nervous, and I was so sad watching her be brave and go through the pain and end up crying for a few minutes (the longest time when it comes to her immunisations) because she was aware of everything going on around her. I had a gift for her when the nurse had finished but it took a while for her to get over the situation. I'm happy I waited until gg stopped pulling her ears before I got her ears pierced but if she didn't pull her ears I would have definitely pierced her ears on her 1st birthday. Plus, gg was always getting called a boy even when she was in pink with ribbons and clips in her hair (",)



You tell me honestly, look at the above pic and tell me if you could have mistaken gg for a boy? With a clip in her hair a dress and sandals I was still told I had a beautiful son hehehehehehehehe

What are your opinions on infant/toddler ear piercings? Link up by clicking on the button below. I have so many ideas about the next friendly debate with the Danielles, like is there anything wrong with allowing pre-schoolers to wear nail varnish, or if you are a stay at home mum should you send your child to nursery or spend your time educating them?





Happenings of the Harper Household

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Dimitra! Waiting was most definitely the right decision for gg. I didn't cry when Baby O got her ears done, but bawl like a baby when it's shot time.

    Oh, I never would have thought that beautiful little baby was a boy! She is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up with us! Both of my girls were the same way - always pulled on their ears when they were upset. And then my youngest ended up needing tubes in her ears due to an ear infection that lasted more than a month.

    Oh and your daughter is darling! I definitely wouldn't of mistaken her for a boy - people are silly. Thanks for listing some possible "debates" for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nikki I know what you mean when it comes to immunisation time I just hate it and more and more as she gets older coz shell look at me with teary eyes like why did you let the Dr hurt me with the injection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle sorry to hear that, your daughter must of been in so much pain and must of found the tubes bothersome in her ears.
    Your welcome with the ideas and thanks for the debate its been intresting reading everyones opinions. My daughter has been mistaken for a boy from when she was born up untill this June and that was after her ears where pierced and her hair long so yes some people are silly but we think it's quite funny especially the look on their faces when they realise they are wrong. I think their embarresment makes up for their sillyness (",)

    ReplyDelete