Saturday, 7 January 2012

A GREEK GHANA XMAS & NEW YEAR

Warning this is a very long post (",).

Who had fun with family and friends over the Xmas period? We sure did (",) The thing is you don't truly realise how much fun or how much you bond until it finishes and my fiance has to go back to work. So as my fiance is hard at work and gg and I play together we both reminisce about the last 10 days and how much fun we all have had, this is up until gg says "Mummy I want to call Daddy I need to tell him off! Why is he at work? He s'pose to be home with us so we can play". She takes my phone asks me which one is Daddy's number?" I show her and off she is telling him off on the phone for going to work lol. As gg is otherwise occupied disciplining her daddy, (and I'm left with the laptop) I thought I'd share with you our Greek Ghana Xmas and New Yr.

Every Christmas time my fiance gets 10 days off and we have lots of fun together especially last year when we were all sick, now not your normal sick I mean sick with a temperature, shivering, headaches that hurt so much it's like you're wearing a helmet of pain, weak, falling in and out of sleep and thinking people were shouting when they weren't. But even though we were all mash up we spent over a week at home in PJ's watching films snuggled up on the sofa and it was great! I don't know if it had anything to do with my fiance proposing on new years eve or not, but it was fantastic (",)
I wanted to re-create the fun bonding times we had together spending time messing about, chilling and having a good laugh constantly for days non-stop rather than there being a few hours break between the fun when gg's daddy is at work, but this time minus the sickness.
Well I can happily report that we had our fun and we weren't housebound this time by the lergies (I haven't used that word since primary school lol), only by choice (",) Here it is our Greek Ghana Xmas and New Yr.

I had it all planned, get gg a leap frog leap pad the week before Christmas, just so I wouldn't be tempted to give it to her because I knew she would love it and I would get too excited, make gg a quilt, go and see Santa on Xmas eve, decorate our gingerbread house and make stain glassed gingerbread cookies to hang on the tree for Santa on Xmas eve, have family round ours on Xmas day, on boxing day go to my mum and dad's for souvla (Greek BBQ), spend a few days watching films in our PJ's playing and playing on the wii, sort out wedding music, get our wedding rings, book honeymoon have a romantic new yrs eve etc... You catch my drift. Well it didn't quite go to plan.

I went everywhere looking for a leapfrog leap pad, no where had them in stock. I tried on ebay and found one for £14 more than the rrp but I didn't mind because that's what I wanted to get gg. I paid right after I won it but the seller wasn't registered to receive pay pal payments. I told the seller I cancelled the payment and bidded on another leap frog leappad and won it, this time £8 more than the rrp plus guaranteed next day delivery. That evening I got an email from the first seller saying it was in the post, and that we could sort out payment next week.I didn't think anything of it because I thought who would send an £80 item in the post without receiving payment? I thought he was trying to cover himself to not get bad feedback and say it got lost in the post. The next morning the second leapfrog I ordered arrived and to my fiance's and my surprise, so did the first one. We couldn't believe that he sent it without us paying for it. I rang him up and his reasoning was he knew I wanted it and he was going to sort out payment the following week. Well as I'm a good person and because the seller sent it out of the kindness of his heart I sent it back to him and we were left with one leapfrog leappad (",).

I finished sewing gg's quilt on the Thursday before Xmas, and for my first attempt I was quite impressed with myself. The last time I sewed on a sewing machine was in secondary school and I used to think I was going to sew my fingers that's why I didn't pursue sewing, but this time I had no fear at all.


gg and I baked our gingerbread house and gingerbread play-doh the Wednesday before Xmas, glued the walls together on the Thursday stuck the roof on on Friday, so far so good you say. Well the roof fell off and then one side broke into pieces so I was left with a one-sided roofed house. I was still happy because my first attempt last year was rubbish I didn't even get one wall to stand up and on Xmas eve it was all in the bin lol but this year I was organised, followed all the steps and had a house with only part of the roof missing. My reason for this was so you could see the people inside that came to take sweets hehehehehehe. We didn't get to decorate the house with sweets on Xmas eve because we were too busy visiting Father Christmas

but got around to it 3 days later which was fun, but the sweets kept falling down. This is my fault. I followed all the instructions apart from one of the most important; to beat your royal icing before you use it if made in advance to air it and get the correct thick consistency and not a runny one because I was in lazy mode. We did make our gingerbread cookies, cut a hole in the middle, put in some crushed boiled sweets in the hole and used a straw to make a hole at the top to thread some string through to hang on the tree. The problem is that I was too engrossed in Eastenders and forgot about the cookies so they were a little too dark but gg hung them on the tree anyway. Santa didn't seem to mind because on Christmas day there was only one left, and that one somehow started to melt and make part of the tree sticky. Note to self: no need to add sweets in the centre normal cookies are just fine for Santa.

GINGERBREAD PLAY-DOH



Speaking of Christmas day gg only got to open one present when she woke up because we had to go to the emergency dentist because her gum swelled up the night before. But when we got back and she had taken her medicine we all got to opening our presents. Family came round for Xmas dinner and I nearly burnt the house down because the baking paper in the tray touched the flame in the oven and caught fire oops! We had a nearly traditional Xmas dinner but we all had chillies with our food. This came about because my fiance's brother puts chili on everything. Now I used to think he didn't like my food but he does it with EVERYTHING (",). We only had a little chili sauce so I offered him and everyone else chillies and everyone ate them with their food (apart from gg) happily. Some that are not used to eating chillies will think this is a little strange but eating chillies in Ghana and Cyprus is a common accompaniment to food no matter what food you are having. I love them, not the extra hot ones the ones that burn slightly and I eat them everyday for breakfast with olives, rocket spinach, pea shoots salami/ham and wholegrain seeded bread which is a great healthy start to the day, plus its a great kick start to your metabolism too.


My mother in-law to be bought some party poppers, but these weren't your usual poppers. These went bang and caused a spark, a red one, and each popper was smoking, now no joke for about a minute at a time, and wait for it, they had no streamers come out of them LOL. Apart from last two that gg pulled. We also had crackers that gg always pulled with someone and always seemed to win, I think it has something to do with her not being as strong so when the other person pulls they get less, doesn't really make sense but that's the only explanation I can come up with lol. In each cracker there were jokes and I excitedly read them to everyone and got booed for the lame jokes, even though I didn't make them up, so not fair.

We went to my mum and dad's and had souvla, pork and lamb, with grilled pitta bread home made chips, homemade tachin (tahini), garlic beetroot and parsley, diced onions and parsley, tomatoes in olive oil and garlic and white cabbage and coriander salad, mmm... I'm hungry writing it I want some now (",) Gotta wait until the end of the month for more as gg put in her request and asked papou to make her souvla for her birthday. We had loads to take home and ate it the next day watching Smurfs the movie, and gg now thinks smurfs are real but not the cartoon ones lol.

We went to order our wedding rings on new year's eve just because it was our 1 year anniversary when my fiance proposed but when we got there it took me just under 2 hours to decide which ones I wanted and when I finally did the lad said they didn't have my fiance's size in stock and so now we have to go to another jeweller and decide on a different set of matching rings. I was upset because I was trying to build up a tradition here, trying to get jewellery every new years eve, but now I've got to try another way (",)

gg took us to fridge galaxy to see sudinan the pig, whilst holding an Argos brochure open on the fridge page lol

Not even an hour into the new year, I got the cotton from the end of a cotton bud stuck in my ear and my fiance got it out for me with tweezers even though he couldn''t see it and had to guess lol

Here's some off gg's firsts questions of 2012:
"who made me?"
"no who made my bones inside me?"
"who made my colour then?"
"who made your colour then?"
I will post soon how we dealt with these questions in more depth.

I tried curlformers 3 times on gg's hair with not so good results,


but on a good hair note here's a pic of gg's first cornrows of 2012 with only our itchy scalp spray and shea butter mix braided on wet hair with no bands on the end.



Our best Xmas gift was,,,,,

(",)

This was our Greek Ghana Mix Christmas and New Year, this isn't your stereotypical Greek or Ghanaian Xmas or New Year but hey we aren't your stereotypical Greek or Ghanaian family (",)

8 comments:

  1. Very nice cornrows! Looks like you guys had a great Christmas and New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pictures but sorry to hear about your little one's trip to the dentist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Preciois we did (",) I havent cornrowed her hair for a few months and when I was I was doing it on dry stretched hair but this time I did it on wet hair and they have been my neatest and quickest, sk I think wet hair styling is our new best friend (",)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind words Lorie, she was very brave and after the first dose of medicine it went down alot and it didnt seem to bother her and as a bonus she liked the medicine too, orange flavour so I had no problems with her taking it which was a first (",)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an eventful time--dentist, dark cookies, cotton stuck in your ear, two leap frogs...that's a lot lol! I'm glad everything worked out and you were all able to be together to celebrate the holidays--Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nikki, we had a good time and all the unplanned events are great funny stories and memories for us to look back on (",) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful post,love your style =)
    lots of love!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's why I always use a glue gun on our gingerbread houses!!
    LOL! : )

    Fondly,
    MaryLea

    ReplyDelete