Ok another post I have been meaning to write but I've been putting it off because of all the pics I need to upload lol. Well I was feeling kind of un-lazy today so you're in for a treat!
I'll start off by telling and showing you that I am not a bad cake maker, but not the best either. I made my first decorated big cake for gg's summer Tinkerbell party in 2010 and have made a few since then. Here are a few of my cakes over the last year.
They don't look bad, I'm quite proud of them (",)
Here's my story un-covered given to you from the front lines. gg wanted me to make her a Tinkerbell cake again and also a doll cake. As I hadn't made a cake for a while, I was up for the challenge. I would normally post a pic of the cake so you would know what your getting but I have left it until the very end so you can go on this journey with me and experience the anger, disappointment and sense of achievement I did. So no peeping, don't even think about scrolling down to see the finished cake, it'll spoil the surprise.
I used my usual chocolate cake recipe (this is the best chocolate cake in the world and always gives me two huge layers). I researched and found out that you could use a bowl to get the curved effect of the skirt and a round cake tin for the height underneath. All I had to do was cut it into layers after. So I set out greasing my bowl and tin and adding flour to help the cake release when cooked.
I baked my cakes and they both released very easily buuuuuutttt..... 1. They were both flat. They were half the size I needed them to be.
2. Look at all the flour on my curved piece. I was a bit too happy with the flour when I was greasing my bowl. So the first point goes to the cake 1 -0 but, I wasn't going to let the cake win so I cut both pieces horizontally and got 4 pieces in total.
I got a little bit more height but not as high as I wanted. 1 Point to the cake 1/2 point to me. I stacked them on top of each other with a layer of chocolate butter cream between each piece.
I'll start off by telling and showing you that I am not a bad cake maker, but not the best either. I made my first decorated big cake for gg's summer Tinkerbell party in 2010 and have made a few since then. Here are a few of my cakes over the last year.
They don't look bad, I'm quite proud of them (",)
Here's my story un-covered given to you from the front lines. gg wanted me to make her a Tinkerbell cake again and also a doll cake. As I hadn't made a cake for a while, I was up for the challenge. I would normally post a pic of the cake so you would know what your getting but I have left it until the very end so you can go on this journey with me and experience the anger, disappointment and sense of achievement I did. So no peeping, don't even think about scrolling down to see the finished cake, it'll spoil the surprise.
I used my usual chocolate cake recipe (this is the best chocolate cake in the world and always gives me two huge layers). I researched and found out that you could use a bowl to get the curved effect of the skirt and a round cake tin for the height underneath. All I had to do was cut it into layers after. So I set out greasing my bowl and tin and adding flour to help the cake release when cooked.
2. Look at all the flour on my curved piece. I was a bit too happy with the flour when I was greasing my bowl. So the first point goes to the cake 1 -0 but, I wasn't going to let the cake win so I cut both pieces horizontally and got 4 pieces in total.
I got a little bit more height but not as high as I wanted. 1 Point to the cake 1/2 point to me. I stacked them on top of each other with a layer of chocolate butter cream between each piece.
As you can see my cake is not a very smooth spherical one. 2 Points cake. At this point I was very annoyed and my camera battery needed to be charged so I didn't bother waiting for it to charge and took a few pics on my mobile. The pics are collaged together because they are not as good quality when big sorry.
I got a knife and started shaping it. Boy was it a mess lol But still a little bit better 1 point to me.
I then took the cut off cake pieces and stacked them on top of the cake, giving me more height woo hooo another point to me. So, so far cake - 3; me - 2 1/2(",)
I took gg's doll's clothes off and wrapped her body up in cling film. I tried to push the doll in to make a hole but all I accomplished was my cake cracking. So I used a knife and cored through the middle and placed the doll in. I added a little bit more extra cake up the sides to form the dress and to my surprise the cake's height was perfect. Another point to me, yay I'm in the lead 3 1/2 to me 3 to the cake, I may actually win this.
I rolled out my fondant and started cutting leaf shapes with my new cutter and stuck them on to the cake with buttercream, starting from the bottom and working my way up.
Now half way through sticking the leaves the cake to my pleasant smirky in your face cake surprise the cake actually was starting to look like a leafy Tinkerbell dress and also like quite a professional cake. Ding ding ding I think I deserve a few more points (",)
I worked with my magic leaves and finished the cake and are you ready for the big unveilling..... Drum roll please...... Ta da
I was so proud of it. Not only because it came out pretty good and it was my first doll cake, but also because of all the problems I had overcome with the cake itself.
My fiance came in from work just as I finished and he was like " WOW well done it looks great". I said "look at what it looked like before I finished". I showed him the pics of the cake before and he couldn't stop laughing. He said "only you could get something that was ruined and make it into something so beautiful" aaaahhhhh my gorgeous baby (",). I then sent him to the shops for some sprinkles and he came back with a barbie mix of flowers, hearts, sprinkles etc. The flowers were perfect. I added a few to the dress and I was really happy with the result and gg was overjoyed with her cake (",)
So there you have it nothing a bit of glue and a nice patch/covering can't fix. Next time you get a nice cake be cautious; it may not be so neat underneath lol! Who cares though, as long as it tastes nice that's the main thing!
Have you had any cakes or food you have had to think quick on your feet and cover up? And have you got away with it?
I got a knife and started shaping it. Boy was it a mess lol But still a little bit better 1 point to me.
I then took the cut off cake pieces and stacked them on top of the cake, giving me more height woo hooo another point to me. So, so far cake - 3; me - 2 1/2(",)
I took gg's doll's clothes off and wrapped her body up in cling film. I tried to push the doll in to make a hole but all I accomplished was my cake cracking. So I used a knife and cored through the middle and placed the doll in. I added a little bit more extra cake up the sides to form the dress and to my surprise the cake's height was perfect. Another point to me, yay I'm in the lead 3 1/2 to me 3 to the cake, I may actually win this.
I rolled out my fondant and started cutting leaf shapes with my new cutter and stuck them on to the cake with buttercream, starting from the bottom and working my way up.
Now half way through sticking the leaves the cake to my pleasant smirky in your face cake surprise the cake actually was starting to look like a leafy Tinkerbell dress and also like quite a professional cake. Ding ding ding I think I deserve a few more points (",)
I worked with my magic leaves and finished the cake and are you ready for the big unveilling..... Drum roll please...... Ta da
I was so proud of it. Not only because it came out pretty good and it was my first doll cake, but also because of all the problems I had overcome with the cake itself.
My fiance came in from work just as I finished and he was like " WOW well done it looks great". I said "look at what it looked like before I finished". I showed him the pics of the cake before and he couldn't stop laughing. He said "only you could get something that was ruined and make it into something so beautiful" aaaahhhhh my gorgeous baby (",). I then sent him to the shops for some sprinkles and he came back with a barbie mix of flowers, hearts, sprinkles etc. The flowers were perfect. I added a few to the dress and I was really happy with the result and gg was overjoyed with her cake (",)
So there you have it nothing a bit of glue and a nice patch/covering can't fix. Next time you get a nice cake be cautious; it may not be so neat underneath lol! Who cares though, as long as it tastes nice that's the main thing!
Have you had any cakes or food you have had to think quick on your feet and cover up? And have you got away with it?











What a lovely cake! You did a great job and you can't even tell that you "messed up" :)
ReplyDeleteDimitra, you seriously never cease to amaze me! You're an amazing baker/decorator/designer!
ReplyDeleteThankyou Precious and Nikki (",)
ReplyDeleteGREAT JOB!!! Choca said, "AWWWW!! SO pretty!!"
ReplyDeleteI love it!! You did an amazing job on it!! :)
Char~
Thankyou Char and cutie Chocca (",)
ReplyDelete